Review - 'Falling' by T.J. Newman


Wow, I'm kind of speechless at how utterly dull this story was. Given the premise, it's really quite unbelievable.

Bill Hoffman is the pilot of Flight 416, en route to JFK with 149 souls on board. What he doesn't know is that his wife and children have been kidnapped and are being held hostage. When his plane is midair, he is confronted with a choice: crash the plane or his family will die.

That sounds interesting enough, and the first few chapters were. But the more I read, the worse it got. The crux of the problem is that there's nothing compelling or new or even entertaining in here. If a book could be made up of clichés, one after another, this is it. Of course the passengers are upset, the flight attendants heroic, the bad people Middle-Eastern, and the authorities good meaning but bumbling.

Every dialogue is so cringey in how predictable and trite it was. Every scene felt like a repeat of ones I'd seen before from bad action movies. It's hard to keep my focus when I already know how it will all play out. I caught myself skimming multiple times because my brain just filled in all the blanks without having read any of it.

I never made any emotional connections with the characters. They are just stereotypes, and can be replaced by any other character of the same type. There's a simplicity and predictability to everything in here that wore me out and completely bored me to tears.

Honestly, there's no need to read this book. Just close your eyes and imagine some scenes from an airplane hijacking. Whatever you just imagined is more exciting than what you would find in this book, and you just saved yourself many hours. You're welcome.

Readaroo Rating: 2 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.