Review - 'Fault Lines' by Emily Itami


Some days I can't quite work out how I got here; I opted for the guy, I opted for the kids, I just didn't realize that meant waving goodbye to everything else.
On the surface, Mizuki has it all: a handsome husband, two beautiful children, and a lovely home in bustling and frenetic Tokyo. So why does she feel so lonely and sad? Then she meets Kiyoshi and he makes her feel alive again. But she knows what she is doing can't go on, and she will have to make a choice soon. But how can she decide between impossible choices?

My heart aches for Mizuki. What she wants—what we all want—is to be seen and understood. But her traditional role as a housewife and her husband's rejection of her as anything other than a servant to him and a caretaker of their children makes that impossible. The building up of her loneliness, made all the more acute because she is surrounded by her family, feels hopeless and gut-wrenching.

As a woman, I was instantly sympathetic to Mizuki and her plight. I imagine most readers will relate to her, especially if they have ever been the nurturer in the relationship. When she sought to find that basic human connection with Kiyoshi, I couldn't help but cheer for her. To see her rediscover her spark after so long, unfurl into the fully-faceted person she used to be, and realize she's so much more than just a wife and a mother, is immensely satisfying.

This book's writing style drew me in from the first page. It's straightforward, funny, and witty, and I couldn't put it down. For a relatively short book, I was amazed that Emily Itami managed to wring so much out of it. Not only was the main story riveting, but it also contained many interesting observations about life, love, parenting, and relationships sprinkled throughout. I constantly caught myself nodding along and chuckling to the insightfulness of it all.

The only part of the story that fell a bit short for me was the ending. Obviously, when a story is about infidelity, there are only so many ways it can go. But as I grew close to Mizuki, I wanted so much more for her. I don't know what ending would've satisfied me, but the one that was given just didn't quite meet my lofty hopes.

Still, what a visceral and poignant story this was, deftly capturing the essence of our human need for connection and meaning. This is Itami's debut effort, and I cannot wait to read more from her.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

My heartfelt thanks for the copy that was provided for my honest and unbiased review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.