Review - 'Circe' by Madeline Miller


"Next time you're going to defy the gods, do it for a better reason."
Circe has always known that she does not belong. Though she is a goddess born to the almighty sun god Helios, she has never desired power nor indulged in vanity and cruelty the way her family does. They, in turn, have never ceased to remind her that she is the lesser daughter of greater sires. So when she displays an affinity for witchcraft and is exiled to a remote island, she jumps at the chance. Here finally is the opportunity to live life on her own terms.

Told in her trademark lyrical prose, Madeline Miller weaves a tale that is at once familiar and brand new. Circe has always been a minor goddess in Greek mythology, but in this book, she shines bright as the star of her own tale. It was fascinating to see so many familiar events—Scylla, Jason and Medea, and the infamous Odysseus—made fresh again through her eyes.

You would think a story like this might feel remote and otherworldly and be hard to relate to. After all, I'm not a goddess (well, only in my head). But what's amazing about this story is how utterly relatable it really is. Miller manages to portray Circe in sharp relief, and she is a compelling figure. Her search for purpose and belonging, her loneliness, her mistakes and sacrifices, and ultimately her redemption, all coalesce to drive home her humanity and fragility. It makes for a mesmerizing tale, one I could not look away from.

In comparison to The Song of Achilles, I found both to be wonderful in their own right. Which you will enjoy more will depend on personal preference. For me, The Song of Achilles has a better arc just based on source material, with the story relentlessly building up to the Trojan War. Circe does not have the luxury of a huge war at its end, so the story ebbs and flows depending on the current narrative. That isn't to knock Circe, but rather speaks to Miller's masterful skill that she was able to make this story just as riveting as its predecessor.

In just two books, Madeline Miller has become a favorite of mine. It must not be easy to take a classic that has been told again and again, and to infuse something thrilling and new into it. Yet she does just that, shaping these myths into tales appealing for the modern audience, while still retaining all of their old-world charms. I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

3 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite books of 2020. The author came to Phoenix to speak to our Literary Society, and she was funny, smart, and engaging -- and she told us how her mother used to read Greek myths to her before bed. I loved SONG OF ACHILLES as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment! So sorry for the delayed response... I forgot to check for comments. I'm glad you enjoyed this too! Ah, that must have been when Miller got her love for Greek mythology! :)

      Delete
  2. No worries, Yun, I forget to check my blog sometimes, too :) Scrolling through, I notice we have quite a few books as favorites--not just Circe but Amor Towles and quite a few mysteries. I write historical mysteries set in 1870s London; my fourth, DOWN A DARK RIVER, was just published in mid-November. I'm sure you have a huge TBR stack, but if you'd like, you can check out the goodreads reviews (there are over 100, so it's a decent sample), and if it's up your alley, I can furnish you with a copy. Thank you for all you do for the reading/writing community; I always say that book reviewers and bloggers are the lifeblood. I'm glad I found you! Best wishes, Karen www.karenodden.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.