Review - 'The Cruel Prince' by Holly Black


I do not yearn to be their equal. In my heart, I yearn to best them.
Wow, what a start to the trilogy! I'm not sure what I expected going into The Cruel Prince, but it certainly wasn't this much fun or this much nastiness.

Jude was only seven years old when her parents were brutally murdered in front of her eyes. The man who killed them took her and her sisters to the High Court of Faerie, to be brought up as one of them. Yet, in the ten years since, Jude has never felt like she belonged. As a mortal, she is always less than in the eyes of the Faeries. In particular, she makes an enemy of the cruel Prince Cardan. When treachery comes to the High Court, Jude must figure out what she's really capable of in order to grab the power she so desires.

Right off the bat, it's clear that every character in here is somewhat morally corrupt, including our heroine Jude. To survive and thrive, they must continually scheme and do bad things. While I don't normally gravitate towards this sort of story, it works here because everyone's motivations make sense. I feel an emotional connection with each character, so I'm able to cheer them on, even as their actions become crazier and more questionable. It sure makes for an entertaining read, one I can't look away from.

The writing is truly top-notch, with a sharpness that keeps me on my toes. I particularly enjoyed the dialogue, which is so witty and scathing that it feels like every line is worth savoring and rereading. The worldbuilding is easy and effortless, drawing the reader seamless into this universe. It proceeds bit by bit, so there's never any confusion or info dumping. And the way every tidbit eventually fits together is satisfying to the extreme.

There's so much packed into this one story: politics, family drama, revenge, power, and murder. There's even a bit of romantic intrigue disguised as mutual hate, which is quite delicious. Everything builds up slowly, increasing in tension until we reach a turning point about halfway through. After that, the gloves are off, and we are treated to one surprise after another. I never knew what the next chapter would bring, so I was turning the pages as fast as I could.

When I think of a fantasy story I want to sink my teeth into, I'm looking for a few things: sharp writing, well-plotted story, compelling characters, and seamless worldbuilding. And if there's a dash of romance, I certainly wouldn't object. Well, this book has them all, and I'm in awe over how flawlessly everything came together. I can't wait for more.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.