Review - 'Rules of Civility' by Amor Towles


Rules of Civility transported me to 1930s New York. It made me nostalgic for a city I've never been and a time I've never lived.

Looking back, it's hard to put my finger on exactly what made this story so special. On the surface, there isn't anything terribly arresting about the plot itself. We follow Katey, a working class girl starting her adult life and trying to make it in New York. A chance encounter propels her to friendships with Manhattan's wealthy and elite, providing her with opportunities and experiences that end up shaping who she is.

And yet, this book is so much more. Towles's writing is undeniably compelling, shining brightly from every single page. I honestly couldn't look away. I can't think of another author who can stun me so thoroughly with just the power of their prose. There is so much charm, insight, and longing embedded in the words and the sentences. I often caught myself pausing and rereading just to savor them a few more times before I could move on.

This story is an ode to New York City, with all of its timeless elegance and unwavering vibrancy. And it's an ode to being young and having your whole life in front you. Towles deftly captures the endless possibilities of youth, with its numerous choices and all the lives yet unlived, as well as the feelings of excitement and loneliness that come with being young.

If I had one critique, it would be that the characters in here don't necessarily resemble real people with flaws. They're all a bit too perfect, more levelheaded and idealistic than anyone I've ever met. No matter the circumstances, they went with the flow, put their best foot forward, and always behaved with grace and composure. While us regular folks can only aspire to such lofty goals, every character in here has already reached this nirvana. Still, they made for an enticing and upbeat read, even if it wasn't entirely realistic.

It takes real skill to turn an otherwise pedestrian story into something special, and Towles achieves it flawlessly with his beautiful writing. It drew me in from the first page and I was swept away. At this point, I'm pretty sure if Towles wrote a treatise on paint drying, I'd find that riveting too.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

This was a pick for my Book of the Month box. Get your first book for $5 here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.