Review - 'Evil in Emerald' by A.M. Stuart


There's something about this series that is just so darn satisfying, and this latest installment delivers again.

Our intrepid Harriet Gordon, in between her duties at her brother's school and working as a typist with the police, has joined the local drama club for a little bit of fun. But even among this gathering of folks with similar interests, there is tension and secrets simmering beneath the surface. When murder comes calling, it's up to Inspector Curran, with the help of Harriet, to figure out what's really going on, before any more innocent lives are cut short.

This was such an entertaining murder mystery. There's a good amount of things going on, so it never feels slow. With plenty of clues and red herrings to suss out and mull over, this was a mystery I could really sink my teeth into. And once it got going, I couldn't put it down and pretty much read it in one go.

But to say the mystery was my favorite part of the story would be to sell it short. There's so much to love here. The characters really come alive, in particular Curran and Harriet. We're learning more and more about them, and in this installment, we come to understand Curran's personal history and his demons. It makes me appreciate his character even more. And Harriet remains strong and undaunted, no matter what comes her way.

You can tell Alison Stuart did so much research into colonial Singapore as part of her writing process, and it really shows. Like any historical fiction worth its salt, the setting feels authentic and atmospheric. Every time I read it, I'm transported to this time and place with its lush humidity and oppressive heat. Our visit to Singapore a few years ago was such a memorable one, and reading this series makes me long to visit this wonderful place again.

The mark of a good book is that I don't want it to end. When I reach that last page, I feel a sense of loss, as if I'm saying goodbye to a dear friend who I won't see for awhile. And so it is with this book. I hope Stuart won't keep us waiting too long for the next installment because I'm already salivating to get my hands on it.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.