Review - 'The Bodyguard' by Katherine Center


Ah, this was the feelgood, fun, cheesy romcom I didn't know I needed!

(In the interest of total transparency, I want to confess I picked this book up for no reason other than it has the same name as one of my favorite movies ever—you know, the one with Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner. So yeah, if you write a book called The Bodyguard, I will read it, is what I'm trying to say. Right, back to the topic at hand.)

Hannah is going through a heartbreaking time. Her mom just passed away and her boyfriend dumps her immediately after the funeral. What's an asskicking girl supposed to do but get lost in her job to take the edge off the pain? Good thing she's an Executive Protection Agent (fancy name for a bodyguard), and protecting her latest client, the swoonworthy movie star Jack Stapleton, is sure to take her mind off her life... unless she falls for him, which she definitely won't do.

In case it's not clear, this isn't a story you take too seriously. It's more of a lighthearted, sweet, happy romance with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. I smiled so much through the whole thing, my cheeks felt a little sore afterwards. At times, it does cross over to the sappy side, at least for me. But it didn't happen too often and the funny scenes helped to balance it out.

I know romance readers can be a bit divided on the inclusion of explicit sex scenes, of which this book has none. For me, I don't generally prefer that because those stories tend to lack steam and feel unrealistic to me. But I didn't think so here. In fact, this story wasn't missing anything by not including those scenes. There's a permeating tone of lightheartedness and charm to the whole thing, and the exclusion of those scenes just made sense.

I don't want to oversell how happy and fun this story was, because there were definitely some emotionally heavy moments that had me tearing up and reaching for my tissue box. But overall, this was such a pleasant diversion from real life. I come out of it feeling warm and comforted all over, and I'm honestly not ready to let that feeling go just yet.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

This was a pick for my Book of the Month box. Get your first book for $5 here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.