Review - 'The Paper Palace' by Miranda Cowley Heller


DNF - Umm, gratuitous depiction of the sexual abuse of children? Yeah, that's where I draw the line. Especially because it isn't necessary to the story and I don't need to read multiple scenes of it across 50 pages for no particular reason other than to fulfill some misery quota.

Sure, I can see how some authors believe that trauma and rape is the only way to build female characters, but seriously? Last time I checked, we're in the 2020's and this just pisses me off. Usually, if I get to halfway through a book, I try to power through the rest, but I cannot stomach any more of this.

Regarding the rest of the story, it feels like a wasted opportunity. So much beautiful writing, yet the story is so meandering and pointless. Any one chapter feels like a lyrical journey, but you try putting it all together and it's utterly forgettable.

Do we really need to know the entire life story of Elle to understand her current predicament of infidelity? Must we read through in detail every single person she has ever met? And why is the graphic depiction of the trauma of her youth necessary in order to tell this story? I don't know. I don't mind disturbing stories, but only if there is a point. Whatever the message of this book, I don't understand it at all.

I had so much hope for this, and it was a colossal disappointment. I signed up to read about the nuance of family dysfunction and infidelity, and this sure wasn't it.

Aside 1: This book makes a mistake that annoys me to no end. At one point, Elle points out on how much she hates Daylight Savings because it's October and the sun goes down early. No, you like Daylight Savings. What you hate is Standard Time. *facepalm*

Aside 2: Writing this review has really revealed to me just how much I disliked my reading experience. I'm downgrading this to one star because a few lyrical passages isn't enough to justify an extra star.

Aside 3: For the sake of my blood pressure, I'm going to move on now.

Readaroo Rating: 1 star (DNF)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.