Review - 'First Lie Wins' by Ashley Elston


Ooh yes, I do love it when a thriller fulfills its promise and actually thrills me. And First Lie Wins sure does.

When I go into a mystery/thriller, my expectations are always sky high. I know, I know... I'm setting myself up for failure. But I can't help it. There's so much hype surrounding books in this genre, it's hard not to get swept up in the excitement.

By the time I get my hands on the book, I'm usually frothing at the mouth, hoping this is the thriller that will make my eyebrows raise so high and my jaw drop so hard that I end up looking like a cartoon character. But alas, I remain looking firmly like myself. So it's quite a delight when I come across one that actually delivers on the thrills.

Right off the bat, this feels like a unique story. It isn't just your typical domestic thriller, with the is he/she trying to kill the other, and yes he/she is, but the twist is that no he/she isn't, but gotcha the last twist is that he/she really is. (You can tell from my bitterness that I've read too many of those.) Thankfully, this story has nothing to do with that. Instead, it reminds me of Alias, one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

I absolutely love the way this story is plotted. It's got so many threads all interweaving together, along with plenty of twists and turns. In fact, this story surprised me so many times I lost count. And the reveals aren't just saved for the end where they are dumped on you in one go, but instead nicely spaced throughout so you get plenty of surprises along the way.

If I had to point to one weakness, it would be the writing. There was something about it that came across a bit forced to me, as if it hadn't gone through all the necessary rounds of editing. It didn't flow naturally, and it took me out of the story at times. Along with how complex the plot is and how much explanation is required, and the whole thing felt more convoluted and clunky than it needed to be. Still, that seems like a small complaint when the plot is so enjoyable.

As is usual for this genre, you should go in blind. Don't peek at the blurb/book jacket and definitely don't read any summaries. Unfortunately, I didn't follow my own instructions. I have this urge to read anything placed in front of me (instructions, ingredient lists, street signs, what have you), and in a moment of baby-related sleep deprivation, I accidentally read the book jacket. It wasn't a huge spoiler, but it did clue me in on the direction of the story and the initial chapters. So you've been warned.

If you're looking for a thriller that's a bit different and will actually thrill you, this is definitely a worthwhile contender. I suspect it'll end up being one of the biggest thrillers of the year.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

This was a pick for my Book of the Month box. Get your first book for $5 here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.