Review - 'The Ten Thousand Doors of January' by Alix E. Harrow


I think this happens to all of us readers. You buy a book you're super excited for, bring it home, put it on your shelf, and there it sits collecting dust for many years. You never seem to find the exact right moment to read it, especially when new and exciting releases keep dazzling you. I confess that's what happened here.

So what held me back from The Ten Thousand Doors of January for so long? Honestly, it was the effusive praise of this book. When it's described as "unbearably beautiful" and "a gorgeous, aching love letter to stories," it makes me shy away. I hear those words and think of flowery, descriptive prose and hardly anything interesting to keep me reading. Ouch.

But I'm so glad I finally took the plunge because I ended up not only finding this beautiful, but also riveting. The story itself has a dreamlike quality to it. It reads like a fairytale all grown up, steeped with magic and wonder. And the rich and beautiful prose perfectly complements it, giving a voice to that imaginative and fanciful journey.

The last two-thirds of the book was absolutely amazing. I couldn't tear through it fast enough. You would've had to pry me away with a crowbar, that's how riveting it was. It felt like I was pulled along on a grand adventure with many unexpected surprises, filled with wonderful characters I could love and cheer for.

But I have to be honest, I found the initial hundred pages to be boring as all heck. The story was slow to start, with hardly anything happening or so it seemed because I didn't know where it was going. Instead, it was mostly January talking about Doors with a capital D and Yule Ian pontificating on the mythology and practicality of entryways. I understand the author was trying to make the story seem real, so January's rambling and the pedantic tone of the inner story all contributed to that. But it sure made it a grueling slog.

In fact, I was so certain I was going to get rid of the book after finishing that I let my baby play with it, so the cover and pages are all bent. And I'd messaged one of my friends who'd read the book saying, "Omg does 10k doors get interesting? Is the story within story just as boring? I’m dying. What possessed me to buy this book?"

Obviously, I've never been so glad to be proven wrong. When I think of books with dull starts that I've pushed through, there's only ever been a handful that I ended up loving. It's so rare to be rewarded, and I'm glad this was the case here. In fact, I suspect this is one of those stories that gets even better on a reread, and I can't wait.

I guess what I'm saying with all this is that if you've held back from reading this book because you have the same fear as me, or you've started and found it dull, maybe give it a chance? Perhaps you would end up loving it like I did and finding the magic within. It certainly is worth the try when the end result could be so amazing.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.