Review - 'The Last Thing He Told Me' by Laura Dave


Let me ask you a hypothetical question. Say your husband is missing and you're trying to find him. You reach out to someone you think has a connection to your husband. When they say, "I can explain," do you:

1. Calmly engage this person in conversation so you can learn what you need to know.
Or
2. Run out of there screaming like a lunatic.

If you picked 2, then congratulations. You are a shoo-in for a character in a domestic thriller, where everyone acts as crazy as possible, especially when the answer is right there.

Why do I let the hype get to me, especially when it comes to thrillers? They hardly ever live up to expectations, and most of them are so silly as to be ridiculous. In fact, if I had a dollar for every time I rolled my eyes while reading a thriller, I'd be a millionaire right now. But alas, all I have to show are bruised eyeballs.

What is there to say about this book that I haven't said a thousand times already? The premise is certainly captivating, and the start is strong. Then, slowly but surely, it devolves into nonsensical silliness, along with a heaping serving of the main female character acting ever more paranoid. And on top of that, there aren't even any good twists or surprises in here. The story unfolded pretty much as expected, which is the complete opposite of what a thriller should be.

Sorry if I sound bitter. I really had high hopes for this one, but obviously it didn't work out. On the plus side, I can safely put my copy in the donation pile and free up one precious spot on my bookshelf.

Readaroo Rating: 2 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.