Review - 'My Sister, the Serial Killer' by Oyinkan Braithwaite


My Sister, the Serial Killer is the story of responsible older sister Korede, who is pulled in by her beautiful younger sister Ayoola to help cover up a series of murders. Ayoola, with her stunning looks, has no trouble attracting men, and before long she ends up killing them. Korede feels a responsibility for her younger sister, and so helps her clean and cover up after the slayings. Soon enough, Ayoola sets her sights on the kind doctor that Korede secretly pines for, and Korede is caught in the middle.

How crazy is that, right? I admit that the name of this book and its blurb completely drew me in. And for the most part, it delivers. I found the story itself to be riveting, with its absurd story line and dark humor.

But I found the ending to be a let down. I had hoped for more--more character progression, more insight, more social commentary. In the end, I'm not sure I got more than a superficial covering, if that, in any of these. It was also frustrating to read about a character that doesn't progress, no matter what good or bad things happen to them. They just stay the same from beginning to end, which is hard for me to relate to.

Still the story is unique and wacky, no doubt about it. It's also a quick read, so it's definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for something unusual with a dose of macabre humor.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.