Review - 'You Think It, I'll Say It' by Curtis Sittenfeld


You Think It, I'll Say It is a collection of short stories, mostly centered around middle-aged people who were unhappy with their lives and feel their prime is past them. I found the writing to be compelling, but I didn't really understand the point of most of the stories.

They seem to center around people who were nostalgic for their youth, or who'd grown bitter and regretful, or who were envious of others. Sure, it was uncomfortable to read about these things, and it made me feel pity and sadness for the characters. But in the end, I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of them. Since these are short stories, I wonder if they were longer and more fleshed out, I would like them better.

Since I found Sittenfeld's writing to be engaging, I won't rule out reading her other books. But I'll probably steer away from more of her short stories.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.