Review - 'The Bride Test' by Helen Hoang


I inhaled The Bride Test, and now that I am done, let me just take a moment to squeal in delight! I've been eagerly awaiting this book ever since I read The Kiss Quotient last year, and I'm so happy to report it lives up to all my expectations.

Helen Hoang has a real knack for taking a fairly fluffy genre and elevating it to something truly special. Her characters feel so real, each with their complex emotions, thoughts, and expectations. Esme is sweet and caring, trying to win over Khai even though she feels she doesn't belong in his world. Khai struggles with emotions, and while he keeps others away due to the misguided belief that it's for the best, he can't help but be taken with Esme's positive attitude and can-do spirit.

For me, the part I connected with the most is Esme's immigrant experience. She's in this foreign land to make a better life for herself and her family. She doesn't know what to do a lot of the time, but she does know hard work will pay off and she doesn't shy away from it. She's competent and self-sufficient, and even when things are not going well, she doesn't give up. She's exactly the kind of female lead I can look up to and cheer for.

I always find romance books to be so personal; what speaks to one person may not speak to another. But this sweet and adorable love story sang to my heart and filled me with so much joy. Unfortunately, now I'll have to wait another whole year for Hoang's next book. Sigh... next year cannot come fast enough.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.