Review - 'Chasing the Boogeyman' by Richard Chizmar


What is the purpose of fiction? Could it be to pull the wool over our eyes so completely that we forget we are reading something made up and totally false?

Chasing the Boogeyman is a fictional account of the brutal killings that took place in the author's hometown of Edgewood during the late 1980s. Teenage girls would first go missing and then turn up mutilated and posed. Before long, the town is in a frenzy of fear and suspicion. While the police work feverishly to catch the serial killer, Richard Chizmar is drawn to the case and his firsthand account eventually becomes the book we're reading.

Yes, you read that correctly. The author wrote himself into a fictional story. I've only encountered that ploy in one other book series before, and I'm a big fan. It creates a feeling of authenticity that, along with the true crime narrative style used here, makes it hard to dispute or look away from. There are even crime scene photos included with every chapter, which further adds to the real and chilling atmosphere.

Needless to say, I found the whole thing to be absolutely riveting. I got through it in two days—but only because I started late the first day and had to take a break to sleep—and I was so into the story, I ended up with insomnia.

One thing to note: while I inhaled practically the whole book, I did almost abandon it in the beginning because I found the opening to be really dry. This was especially the case with "Chapter One: The Town," which provides a detailed history of the town going back to colonial days and also includes random tidbits from the author's childhood, such as his house, favorite hangout spots, and even how many cracks are in certain sidewalks. I know what the author was trying to do here, but it was all irrelevant and almost did me in.

However, I'm so glad I didn't give up on this book. It turned out to be well worth the effort of the first thirty-five pages. If you're giving this a try, I'm not above suggesting you skim liberally or even skip straight to Chapter Two if you're feeling bogged down with the earlier pages; you won't miss anything.

This is one of the those books where the story is just as important as the format, and both worked together to create that perfect narrative. The blurring of the lines between what is real and what is fiction happens frequently and enthusiastically here. If the goal of fiction is to immerse the reader into a tale so bold and true as to feel authentic, then surely this must be the perfect tale.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.